Thread: elx file type support in Viewer

Default elx file type support in Viewer

We are using 7.6.6. When will the Eurekalog Viewer support the elx file type?

Sorry for the delay. If you want a quick answer in the future then please open a trouble ticket.

The ELX format was created for a specific customer that wanted to import XML-encoded bug reports into a proprietary bug tracker. This was many years ago - before there were viable bug tracking systems available.

So... The Viewer will probably never support any other formats besides the ones it does now as there is very little demand for that.

If you need to import bug reports into a tracking system, you may be reinventing the wheel.

We already support most major Web Based Bug Trackers via their APIs. The APIs typically use SOAP or JSON to import new bug reports. The ELP file is also sent via the same API. All this happens automatically over HTTP or HTTPS when your app detects an exception and you have it configured for one of the Trackers.

Mantis and maybe some other trackers are open source/free. We use Mantis here at Neos Eureka to track bugs and feature requests.
    Best regards,
    Kevin G. McCoy
    EurekaLog Team Leader

Thanks Kevin. We have our own bug tracking interface as well. The EL viewer was a good backup when our interface would break which was usually caused by .el text file changes. To allow both file formats to be received would be nice but we don't expect to have as many upgrade issues going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by aryals View Post
    Thanks Kevin. We have our own bug tracking interface as well. The EL viewer was a good backup when our interface would break which was usually caused by .el text file changes. To allow both file formats to be received would be nice but we don't expect to have as many upgrade issues going forward.
    In my personal projects I have EurekaLog send its ELP files to my Mantis web server. EL updates the tracker with summary information and this gets added to the tracker web pages and stats. The ELP file is uploaded to a tracker database record. In my case, I am using MariaDb (MySQL) on my NAS drive

When I view the report in the tracker web page (Apache on the same NAS) there is a link to the associated ELP file. I click it and the EL Viewer automatically opens the file and shows me the rest of the bug report: Stack Trace, screen shot, additional logs, Etc.

I leave the Viewer in single record mode (no database) since the tracker does all the database management.

As you can see, there is no need to parse the EL file and you gain the advantage of a professional bug tracking system that is updated in real-time.

Synology NAS drives (and probably other brands) include Mantis and MySQL/MariaDb as free modules. You just plug in the NAS, connect it to you LAN, set up port forwarding on your firewall and it does the rest.
    Best regards,
    Kevin G. McCoy
    EurekaLog Team Leader