Thread: Very bad performance using 7.6.6.0 Hotfix 6

Exclamation Very bad performance using 7.6.6.0 Hotfix 6

I've just updated to Eureka Log 7.6.6.0 Hotfix 6 and I noticed a significant performance hit, to a point that I have to revert to previous EL version.

These are the facts so far:
    - Some processes started to take 2-3 times more time than when using previous EL version (I'm not sure which build exactly, but it was some previous 7.x).
    - I've spent a considerable amount of time profiling EL code and I found that the culprit is procedure GetReadableSize() from ELowLevel.pas.
    - The exact call that is taking almost all the time is VirtualQuery(), inside GetReadableSize()
    - The application handles a certain quantity of exceptions internally. This is not something we can change (e.g. calls to external DLLs which raise errors internally and user driven code - via COM interfaces and interpreted formulas, which can't be completely avoided).
    - In order to test our theory that EurekaLog exception processing was the culprit, we created a method that raises 3000 exceptions in a try..except..end block nested in a long chain of function calls. Using previous EL version, this method takes 0.3 seconds. Using latest 7.6.6.0 hotfix 6, it takes 25 seconds, which shows exactly the difference.
    - When raising those 3000 (test) exceptions, GetReadableSize() is called 68K times(!!) which takes 15 seconds(!!!)
    - We couldn't recreate the same slow down in a separate test case application, so far.
    - "Delay call stack" option is set and doesn't make any difference (times are precisely the same with or without it)
    - I tried to disable almost everything that I could find (memory problems, resource leaks, etc). Nothing makes any difference.

So, my questions are:

- Is this a known issue?
    - What should I do to get the old performance back?

Regards

Default Very bad performance using 7.6.6.0 Hotfix 6

Is this forums monitored by EL team?
    Is this supposed to be answered or I can already forget about using EL in our projects?

I have the same problem. EL and Tokyo 10.2 are not playing nice and my app becomes very sluggish.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex7691 View Post
    Is this forums monitored by EL team?
    Is this supposed to be answered or I can already forget about using EL in our projects?
    We monitor the forum but only after we have processed all of our trouble tickets. For fastest response you should open a trouble ticket here:

https://www.eurekalog.com/support.php

Trouble tickets are answered within a few hours, even on weekends and holidays. Notifications go to my cell phone.

The forum is best used to ask generic how-to questions, and for support on legacy versions of EurekaLog (<v7.x)
    Best regards,
    Kevin G. McCoy
    EurekaLog Team Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Alex7691 View Post
    I've just updated to Eureka Log 7.6.6.0 Hotfix 6 and I noticed a significant performance hit, to a point that I have to revert to previous EL version.
    If you can send us a small, compilable sample project that demonstrates this issue then please open a trouble ticket and attach it there. We will be happy to take a look.

Best regards,
    Kevin G. McCoy
    EurekaLog Team Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    If you can send us a small, compilable sample project that demonstrates this issue then please open a trouble ticket and attach it there. We will be happy to take a look.

As I mentioned:

> We couldn't recreate the same slow down in a separate test case application, so far.

We have also created a bug report using appropriate link and didn't have any response until now. I spent a considerable amount of time investigating this and I already gave you the culprit:

> GetReadableSize() is called 68K times(!!) which takes 15 seconds(!!!) (when application raises 3000 exceptions in a deep chain of method calls)

This doesn't happen in previous versions, so we were forced to rollback this update and we are not able to migrate our application to Tokyo because of this (our previous version of EL doesn't support Tokyo).

We also have this problem, please would you fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by MAForshaw View Post
    We also have this problem, please would you fix it.
    If you have not done so already then please open a support ticket here:

Best regards,
    Kevin G. McCoy
    EurekaLog Team Leader